Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Fire Permits & Guidelines

A fire permit must be obtained before conducting a controlled burn. A fire restriction is in effect as of July 2, 2021. There is no fee for a fire permit.

A fire permit may be suspended or cancelled at any time by the County of Minburn or the Minister responsible for enforcing the Forest and Prairie Protection Act. The fire permit holder will be notified via telephone if the fire permit has been cancelled. Upon receiving notice of cancellation, the person concerned shall immediately extinguish any fire set pursuant to the person’s permit.

Please keep your fire permit on your person or in your vehicle while conducting a controlled burn and be prepared to produce this legal document to fire personnel or the RCMP upon request.

Individuals not obtaining a fire permit will be invoiced at full cost when Fire Departments are called in to respond to fires within the County of Minburn No. 27. Violators may be prosecuted under authority of the Forest and Prairie Protection Act of Alberta.

Click here to view our burning guidelines

Click here to learn about stubble burning in the County of Minburn

Click here to view our applications, documents, and policies

Click here to view our FAQ page.

Click here to view our Fire District Boundary map.

A FIRE RESTRICTION is issued for the County of Minburn effective April 19, 2021, at 10:00 AM. Fire hazard conditions have rapidly increased to the level where fires can start easily and grow quickly.

This FIRE RESTRICTION is in effect for all rural areas in the County of Minburn including Hamlets.
This Fire Restriction:
1.    PROHIBITS the issuance of fire permits and the discharge of fireworks; and
2.    RESCINDS all previously approved fire permits and fireworks discharge permits; and
3.    ALLOWS safe fires in burning barrels provided they are equipped with metal mesh screens, located on a non-combustible surface; and
4.    ALLOWS fire pits contained with non-combustible material, as well as charcoal briquette barbecues, propane/gas barbecue, and propane/gas fire pits.

All types must be supervised and extinguished before leaving unattended.
This FIRE RESTRICTION will continue until further notice. Fire Restrictions can escalate into Fire Bans with little notice and, therefore, please check this site or frequently for updates.
If you have any questions, please contact Mike Fundytus, Director of Protective Services at (780) 632-2082.