New Builder Licensing effective December 1, 2017
With the Government of Alberta’s introduction of builder licensing on December 1, 2017, residential builders in Alberta are now required to have either a valid builder licence or an Owner Builder Authorization (OBA) in order to receive a building permit.
Builder Licensing Process
- Under the New Home Buyer Protection Act, owner builders must apply to the Registrar for authorization to construct their own home. Owner builders interested in applying for an authorization must follow the Owner Builder Authorization Application Process.
- If an OBA application receives approval, an authorization certificate will be issued to the owner builder. The authorization allows owner builders to construct their own home, either with or without warranty. Permit issuers are only able to provide the necessary permits if an authorization has been approved.
- Certificates issued by the New Home Buyer Protection Program for approved OBAs are referred to as “Approved Application for Authorization” or “Approved New Home Registration”.
- To help permit issuers confirm that they are looking at the correct type of authorization certificate, all owner builder certificates issued after December 1, 2017, contain letters “AA” in the Application ID number.
- Prior to December 1, 2017, owner built homes constructed with warranty received a certificate that contained the letters “RF” in the Application ID number (e.g. 17RFxxxxxx). Owner builders constructing without warranty received a certificate that contained the letters “AA” (e.g. 17AAxxxxx).
- All homes approved for an OBA can be searched on the Public Registry using the legal land description. The Registry provides location information and contact information for the warranty provider, if applicable, including how much warranty coverage remains.
- Additional information about the OBA process is located on the Municipal Affairs website at www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca.
If you have any further questions, please contact program staff at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 1-866-421-6929.