Notice of Public Hearing – April 16, 2018



The Council of the County of Minburn No. 27 has deemed it necessary to undertake an Area Structure Plan (ASP) for the Hamlet of Lavoy. The ASP Bylaw is a mid- to long-range land use planning document that considers what types of development should/could occur within the Hamlet. It is put into effect through the decisions made regarding subdivision and development applications on land within the ASP boundary. On February 20, 2018 County Council gave first reading to proposed Lavoy ASP Bylaw No. 1261-17.

A Public Hearing is scheduled for:

Monday, April 16, 2018, at 11:30 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the County of Minburn No. 27 located at 4909 – 50 Street, Vegreville, AB

The purpose of the hearing is to allow persons to make known their views with respect to proposed Bylaw No. 1261-17. Written comments regarding the proposed bylaw may be dropped off, or mailed to:

The County of Minburn No. 27 at Box 550, Vegreville, AB, T9C 1R6

by 4:30 p.m. the weekday prior to the public hearing. Written comments must contain the name and address (legal land description) of the person(s) making the submission as well as their comments regarding proposed Bylaw No. 1261-17.

Should you wish to make a verbal presentation to Council at the Public Hearing, you must contact the County by 9:00 a.m. the day of the scheduled hearing at 780-632-2082 to register to speak.

Copies of proposed Bylaw No. 1261-17 are available for public inspection during regular office hours at the Municipalities’ offices.

Should you have any questions or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact Davin Gegolick, Planning & Development Officer at 780-632-2082.

New Home Buyer Protection Act

New Builder Licensing effective December 1, 2017

With the Government of Alberta’s introduction of builder licensing on December 1, 2017, residential builders in Alberta are now required to have either a valid builder licence or an Owner Builder Authorization (OBA) in order to receive a building permit.

Builder Licensing Process

  • Under the New Home Buyer Protection Act, owner builders must apply to the Registrar for authorization to construct their own home. Owner builders interested in applying for an authorization must follow the Owner Builder Authorization Application Process.
  • If an OBA application receives approval, an authorization certificate will be issued to the owner builder. The authorization allows owner builders to construct their own home, either with or without warranty. Permit issuers are only able to provide the necessary permits if an authorization has been approved.
  • Certificates issued by the New Home Buyer Protection Program for approved OBAs are referred to as “Approved Application for Authorization” or “Approved New Home Registration”.
  • To help permit issuers confirm that they are looking at the correct type of authorization certificate, all owner builder certificates issued after December 1, 2017, contain letters “AA” in the Application ID number.
    • Prior to December 1, 2017, owner built homes constructed with warranty received a certificate that contained the letters “RF” in the Application ID number (e.g. 17RFxxxxxx). Owner builders constructing without warranty received a certificate that contained the letters “AA” (e.g. 17AAxxxxx).
  • All homes approved for an OBA can be searched on the Public Registry using the legal land description. The Registry provides location information and contact information for the warranty provider, if applicable, including how much warranty coverage remains.
  • Additional information about the OBA process is located on the Municipal Affairs website at

If you have any further questions, please contact program staff at, or by phone at 1-866-421-6929.